The Mount Washington Valley is a true four-season vacation area. As the summer comes to a close and the cool weather moves in, the leaves begin to change and the wood smoke starts to rise from chimneys. Here are some of our top recommendations for fun Fall activities in North Conway!
Mount Washington Valley is famous worldwide for its fall foliage. The vibrant leaves against the dramatic backdrop of the mountains are stunning throughout the region, but there are some places where it is particularly spectacular. Here are some of the best spots to see the leaves – check out our blog post for more details!
- Cathedral Ledge in North Conway
- Pinkham and Crawford Notch
- The Intervale Scenic Vista
- The Kancamagus Highway
Voted one of the best in New England as well as WMUR Viewer’s Choice for several years running, you’ve got to visit the Corn Maize at Sherman Farm in Conway. With 3 different routes (for beginners, intermediates and experts) and a unique design every year, the corn maize is fun for everyone. While you’re there, you can pick your own pumpkin from the pumpkin patch!
Mountain biking is a great way to experience the area, and you don’t need to be an expert to do it! With bike rentals at several locations in North Conway (including Stan and Dan’s Bike Shop, Red Jersey Cyclery and Bob and Terry’s), you can rent a bike and get on one of many easily accessible local trails.
- Beginners: Try Whitaker Woods in North Conway or the Side Track at the Puddin Pond Conservation Area
- Intermediate: There are awesome NEMBA-maintained trails at Puddin Pond (Pillar to Pond, Rattlesnake or Sidehiller are our favorites!) or check out the trails at the Marshall Conservation land off of West Side Road
- Advanced: Ride up the Red Tail trail off of Hurricane Mountain Road and follow the ridge all the way to Middle Mountain.
What’s better than a juicy, crisp apple right off the tree? The apple pie or crisp that you bake back at home! Hatch’s Orchard in Conway offers apple picking with a view of the mountains. You can also enjoy hot cider and a fresh donut to warm up your chilly hands!
Fairs are a much-loved New England tradition. With games, rides, agricultural shows, local handicrafts and indulgent foods like fried dough, bloomin’ onions, and cotton candy, there’s something for everyone.
Fairs in this area include:
- The New Hampshire Highland Games in Lincoln, NH (traditional Scottish sports)
- The Fryeburg Fair in Fryeburg, Maine (an amazing family fair and annual tradition in the area)
- Attitash Oktoberfest in Bartlett, NH (Bavarian music and a biergarten)
- The Sandwich Fair in Sandwich, NH (a local’s alternative to the Fryeburg Fair)
- The North American Wife Carrying Championship in Newry, ME (this you have to see to believe)
See the Pumpkin People
Every year, businesses throughout Mt Washington Valley put their creativity on display by constructing Pumpkin People. Totally unique, the Pumpkin People start appearing in late September and are on display until Halloween. Every business has their own display, so drive around the valley and see what people have come up with!
Need a place to stay during your visit?
Pinkham Vacation Rentals has over 50 properties to choose from. Visit our website today to find the perfect place to stay during your awesome North Conway vacation!